Elliott Heads Board Riders Association?

Ivon and Andrew on the beach

The topic of creating a board riders association for Elliott Heads has come up quite a bit lately. This could give us some weight with the council etc in case we need to protect our launch area etc as there are rumours about development of the area taking place and we (kiters and windsurfers) ought to have some input and a place to call our own so to speak.

What are your thoughts?

Posted by Henry Thomas, 6 years ago on Thursday, May 12, 2011

9 comments:

Henry Thomas said...

Personally, I am all for it!

I really worry that if we don't get organised and a member of the public gets injured - regardless of who did it or how - we will all get kicked off the beach. I would be prepared to contribute say $50-100 a year as an annual membership fee and put it towards making sure we continue to have access to our launch area.

Some ideas:

It would be great to have a laser etched stainless steel sign that explained to bathers and fishermen how kites and windsurfers launch, and a safe distance from the launch site to bathe etc. Also perhaps some designated areas for learners etc.

Would be good to have a tee shirt design competition and get a small run of them printed so we can look a bit official.

I like the idea of organising trips and other social events like BBQs ahead of time so we all know when and where to turn up.

I have also been looking into getting a remote weather station set up, with updates posted on this website, so we can get accurate wind reports. Having an association behind that project might help with getting permission to install a pole with the sensor and remote telemetry.

Posted 6 years ago on Thursday, May 12, 2011

Henry Thomas said...

Brent emailed the following:

Have you done any research into what is required of a club/association legality wise? If your still keen this could be something that we could work on?

I have some info on how to set up non-profit grower group organisations (for farmers), can't imagine that EHBA would be much different. I actually have a toolkit for doing it, which will come in handy. We should probably get a group of us who are interested in getting involved to get together one afternoon (when there is no wind ;) and go though it. It is reasonably straight forward from what I can tell.

Chime in if you want to get involved!

Do you think that the term boardriders covers both wind surfers and kiters ok?

I think boardriders is pretty descriptive because it covers kite, SUP and windsurfers. I had tried to come up with something around wind and water sports, but it didn't have the same ring. Elliot Heads Boardriders Association gets a tick from me.

-h

Posted 6 years ago on Friday, May 13, 2011

Wardy said...

Sounds like a good idea. It's come up a few times over the years and i've looked into it a bit. I think the timing is pretty right now as the crew is growing and i think we have enough dedicated guys to make it work. Looks like changes are coming so it would be good for us to have a say as we use it the most. Think boardriders is probably a good call gives a broader base for membership. However the kiting crew will by far be the majority, so i guess it's all good as long as kiters needs are addressed. As far as insurance for kiters goes, we can do it by joining up everyone through the australian kitesurfing association. They'd be keen to help premiums did go up this year a lot to about 100- 120. The good thing is if we have a local club a portion of this fee comes directly back to the local organisation which wouldn't have otherwise. Would be best to try and have all active riders joined up so if shit did ever happen at least we can say our members are insured, how many will is another matter. Could also have a social membership, cheaper for crew that just want to be involved and don't ride. Also sup's will probably be a growing area into the future. Should try and get it sorted while there is wind and momentum is building. How about we get a meeting organised for next weekend?. Be plenty of crew around with the wind this week, could let them know

Posted 6 years ago on Sunday, May 15, 2011

Henry Thomas said...

I agree, its pretty clear that Kites are growing in popularity and will continue to eclipse everything else. Nevertheless, there is also a solid contingent of windsurfers who are regulars, and we all share a common interest.

Insurance sounds great idea. I think it would go a long way to demonstrating that we are responsible recreational users of Elliott Heads.

Andrew, we might also look at having the association join the Coral Coast chamber of commerce? - that might give us a better insight into the rumoured changes.

Posted 6 years ago on Monday, May 16, 2011

Wardy said...

i'll get onto aksa and see if they've got more info for us. Chamber of commerce idea sounds good. Was talking to a mate on last surf trip out reef. Sounds like he works for the company that is designing the plans for elliott heads. He reckons it looks alright, but he did raise the issue of kiters and windsurfers that use the area and sounds like the councellors are pretty ignorant. Sounds like plans still have to be approved. Might see if can chase him up and see if he can get us a copy of latest plans. Would be good to have our own base/clubhouse down there. Thats why i chased up council the other year about the shed down there. They basically said they'de give it to us if we had a reason(club) and the clubbies didn't mind as they technically have it at the moment but don't use it. In the new plans toilets/ shed going. So we'll have to make some noise if we want to keep it, or maybe they could build us a new one. Anyway i'm sure theres lots of good ideas we can work on. But first things first, lets get it goin. Last time i talked to sport and rec you just needed enough guys to form a committe and 150 bucks or so to get it incorporated so no members are personally liable and fill out some paperwork.

Posted 6 years ago on Monday, May 16, 2011

Mat Watkins said...

Hey guys good ideas and not to soon. We need to get going on this I think not only to protect our local ride/riders but for the future of kiting and in keeping with progression we have some awesome local riders that are really keen to explore kickers and rails, and to have a meet day and organisation will help to evolve this in a safe organised manner. Insurance is a good thing especially for those near misses we all encounter at times. Responsible kiting is not only advantageous to us but to the General public which in reality are the main users after all. Signed Safe launching/landing zones need to be addressed( after a few incidence over the holiday seasons) even if we have to walk further around. Will somebody think of the children! If we demonstrate to the public we are responsible and care for them they will continue to allow us to do what we love most without hassles. We need to remember it is a priveledge to kite/Sail in Elliott river not a right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 6 years ago on Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mat Watkins said...

Great site henry congrats for your efforts mate! Nice pics of events and crew in an awesome spot Elliott Heads we are really fortunate.

Posted 6 years ago on Thursday, May 19, 2011

Brent  Malden said...

Hey guys, it's good to hear that there is some interest and momentum with regards to an association. Think we need to swing a meeting as Wardy has mentioned, this weekend could work if we can start the drums going? I have come up with a couple concepts and are going to start a group on FB called Elliot Heads Boardriders that people can join etc, chat and at least gives us some more contacts, wont have it as an Association page as we don't have one yet ;)

Posted 6 years ago on Monday, May 23, 2011

Ivor said...

Hey guys, You have all been missing the South Westerlies this week. I have had two great mornings out today (Thursday) and yesterday BY MYSELF! It's a bit shallow for windsurfing, but just enough to zip up and down in front of the boat ramp on the kite.

Posted 6 years ago on Thursday, May 26, 2011

Post your comment

Welcome Guest, [ or ]